St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
350 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix AZ 85013
FREE! Any age - Any type of Brain Injury
Join us at Amy Zellmer's Phoenix Event for #NOT INVISIBLE!
Survivors of all ages / any type of brain injury, Family, Caregivers, Friends and Community are invited to attend.
Description Amy is traveling the country beginning February 2019 in honor of her five-year “brainiversary” and also in conjunction with Brain Injury Awareness Month (March). She is going to travel the country speaking to local brain injury groups and combining her love of photography to highlight survivors and put a face on brain injury.
She will photograph survivors across the country to show that this invisible injury affects all ages, race, gender, and income levels. It does not discriminate, and it isn’t always visible. Amy’s intention is to give brain injury a “face” to grow awareness through a social media campaign with the hashtag #NotInvisible. While many brain injury survivors look completely “normal” and can walk and talk, most outsiders have no idea of the pain and suffering that the person is going through internally.
The #NotInvisible campaign provides a platform for educating the general public about the high incidence of brain injury — and how to find resources if it happens to someone they know. It also empowers those who have survived to become more engaged in their activism by sharing their story as well as giving brain injury a face.
To conclude the campaign in March of 2021, Amy’s intention is to unveil this exhibit at the Congressional Brain Injury Awareness Day in Washington, DC. From there, the
exhibit will travel the country and be displayed at local brain injury conferences, and additionally it will be made into a coffee table book with proceeds benefiting survivors through LoveYourBrain retreats.
Directions for room:
Enter on 5th Avenue and park in the 6th Avenue Parking Garage. (You will be responsible for paying the $1 parking fee – please be prepared.)
- From the main entrance of the hospital, walk past the Starbucks to the hallway on the right side.
- Continue down that hallway and follow the signs to the cafeteria.
- Turn right down the hallway on your right (towards the 2nd entrance of the cafeteria)
- Go past the entrance to the cafeteria until you see a set of glass double doors.
- Go through the doors to the outside patio and walk directly across the patio to another building with glass double doors.
- Enter the building. Conference room will be on the left.